Wednesday, September 22, 2010

For Teachers: Kennan to Lukacs

"The real rewards of the teacher always lie in the developments remote from the present and confused with a host of other origins, but that should not detract from the dignity of the profession or the satisfaction to be gained from it."
George Kennan to John Lukacs, November 18, 1953

I'm currently reading Through the History of the Cold War: The Correspondence of George F. Kennan and John Lukacs, ed. by John Lukacs (2010). The quote above comes from Kennan to Lukacs, as Lukacs, an immigrant to America from Hungary, seeks guidance from Kennan about his career choice. Expect more quotes from this wonderful book to appear in the near future.

2 comments:

middleson said...

Thanks...I like the quote. and the book sounds interesting (from the few sentences I read about it on amazon.)
And I probably don't/can't fully appreciate the quote yet since I've only taught a few years, but I do know that I take lots of pleasure from hearing from former students that are doing good things and recall a few tidbits from our time together.

middleson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.