Monday, March 12, 2012

Michael Erard, Babel No More: The Serach for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners

Our recent stop at Powell's in Portland landed this book in my bag. We heard Joshua Foer later that night speaking about his book Moonwalking with Einstein, and it reminded me about this book. Being the presence of much more accomplished language-learners than me, I bought. I can say with some certainty that I regret not having studied foreign languages more. Indeed, I can only claim four years of high school Spanish, which UI thought was enough. Well, it wasn't, but that's old history. The topic is still fascinating, and I'd already read some about one of the subjects of the book, Alexander Arguelles.

A book about extraordinary people is always fun, and what keeps you going (besides sheer wonder at their achievements) is how do they do it? Born geniuses, or certain keys to unlike the Tower of Babel? Well, read the book. It's easy and fun. Bon chance! Buen suerte, etc.!

No comments: