Friday, April 5, 2013

Rep. Loebsak on Gun Control & Violence

The following is the reply I received from Rep. Dave Loebsak. Like Senator Harkin's reply, it's much more tepid that I'd like, but Dave has to run again. I'd love one reply to say something like "the gun culture, not normal people who enjoy guns for sporting, but those who have a fixation or idolatry toward firearms, need to be told "no", we don't want that kind of country. We need some rational limits on firearms and access to them. The 2nd Amendment isn't an excuse for society drowning itself in the blood of innocents." Well, my fantasy. Now, here's Dave!

Rep. Dave Loebsack Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM
To: "Mr. Steve Greenleaf"


David Loebsack
2nd District, Iowa

Committees:
Armed Services
Subcommittees:
Military Personnel
Readiness

Education and the Workforce
Subcommittees:
Health, Employment, Labor,
and Pensions
Higher Education and
Workforce Training





Congress of the United States // House of Representatives // Washington, DC 20515



Washington Office:
1527 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-6576



District Offices:
125 South Dubuque Street
Iowa City, IA 52240
(319) 351-0789

209 West 4th Street, #104
Davenport, IA 52801
(563) 323-5988

April 5, 2013
April 5, 2013

Mr. Steve Greenleaf
345 Magowan Avenue
Iowa City, IA 52246-3515

Dear Mr. Greenleaf,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.  I'm honored to represent you.  Your opinion is very important to me and my priority is to provide Iowa's Second District with the best representation possible.

Like you, I was shocked, troubled, and saddened when I heard the news of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School and the lives that were needlessly cut short by this horrific and senseless act of violence.  As a father and grandfather, it is truly heart wrenching to think of what their parents have been going through.  My wife Terry and I continue to send our thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of the defenseless victims, and to the entire Newtown community.  Our thoughts, and the thoughts of our entire nation, also go out to the first responders and teachers who acted so heroically to protect the children.  

While there are no quick fixes, it is time for our country to have a national conversation about how to address the troubling frequency with which lives have been cut short by senseless violence.  I've worked to support our police, firefighters, and first responders, and I believe they, as well as all community leaders from all points of view need to be part of this dialogue.  Part of that conversation needs to address mental health care and children's ever increasing exposure to violence in our society without being taught the difference between fiction and reality.  

We must also look at ways to deal with military-style assault weapons and extended clips that were designed for the battlefield.  While it is only one piece of a complex puzzle, I believe we must also do more to keep these weapons out of the hands of dangerous people.  That is also why, in the 112th Congress, I was a cosponsor of H.R. 308, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act.  This legislation would restore the prohibition on the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices in the United States.  

When faced with such heartbreak and loss it is important that we put aside politics and partisan bickering and come together as Americans to ensure the safety of our children and our communities.  That is why I am meeting with and gathering input from Iowans, including law enforcement, mental health care professionals, teachers and administrators, and parents to discuss how to keep our kids safe.  I strongly believe that there is no higher priority protecting our citizens and I am committed to working each and every day to ensure that America never sees another tragedy like the one in Newtown and that our families and loved ones are kept safe from harm.  

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue.  My office is here to assist you with any and all concerns you have, so please do not hesitate to contact me whenever you feel that I can be of assistance.  I encourage you to visit my website at www.loebsack.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletters to stay informed of the work I'm doing for you.  I am proud to serve the Second District, and I am committed to working hard for Iowans.
Sincerely,
(signed)
Dave Loebsack
Iowa's Second District
DL/AK

No comments: