Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Thoughts of the Day: Thursday 9 September 2020

 “The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.”

 
​“Action without a name, a 'who' attached to it, is meaningless.”​

--Hannah Arendt

There has always been, and probably always will be, economic inequality, but few civilizations appear to have so extensively perfected the separation of winners from losers or created such a massive apparatus to winnow those who will succeed from those who will fail.
Enemies also give you a standard by which to judge yourself, both personally and socially.
To do better, ask yourself straight out: If I saw that there was a superior alternative to my current policy, would I be glad in the depths of my heart, or would I feel a tiny flash of reluctance before I let go? If the answers are “no” and “yes,” beware that you may not have searched for a Third Alternative.
The image of human excellence I would like to offer as a counterweight to freedom thus understood is that of a powerful, independent mind working at full song. Such independence is won through disciplined attention, in the kind of action that joins us to the world. And-this is important-it is precisely those constraining circumstances that provide the discipline.

No comments: